I learned a lot this week. I tried to write some of my personal stories like I’d do a scene in a novel. It was a great exercise, but with all the other projects I’ve got going, it was just too much. So instead of challenging you to do the same — I really don’t want to stress anyone else out — I’ve decided to host the Burned-Out Writer’s Contest.
Here’s how your participate:
- Spend one-hour doing something not writing oriented, that isn’t a task, job or chore. My suggestions: Watch something on your DVR, read a book for sheer pleasure, go out to dinner, take a bubble bath. (+1pt)
- Eat something that makes you happy. I’m not talking about busting a New Year’s Resolution. It can be healthy (eww), but it has to taste good. (+1pt)
- Take a walk. You can determine the length. (+1pt)
- Follow my blog. Writing is a solitary pursuit. Make it social by finding blogs you like…I just hope mine is among those. (+3pts)
- Share this contest with others. I don’t care how you do it. Post it on your blog, tweet about my idiocy, tell your neighbor. (+3pts)
- Report on what you did in the comments of this post and tally your scores. I’m a writer, my math skills are not so good. If you don’t give me your score, I’m not positive I’ll be able to add it up by myself.
And now for the prizes:
- A $20 gift card to either Amazon or Barnes and Noble. It’s your choice.
- A selection of European chocolate to include: Cadbury, Ritter Sport, Milka and Toblerone. Let’s be honest. American chocolate is gross. (If you are anti-chocolate, then I can chose a different selection of goodies. If I have to.)
- The joy of having done something that just makes us feel better, more human, more alive!
The last day to enter is Wednesday, February 16, 2011. I will post the winner at 9 a.m. on February 17. Only folks in the U.S. or Canada may participate. Sorry for you folks in warmer climates. Your chocolate would melt.
I can’t wait to see what ya’ll did with your time!