While I can recognize the gorgeous language, there are some things about this book (and others I’ve read that I also won’t mention) that make me crazy. For instance:
- I hate reading a book with a translation dictionary at my side. If I wanted to read French or Latin, I’d pick up a textbook.
- I don’t like reading books with no frame of reference. I’m not Wiccan. I’m not into the Occult. I don’t frequent fortune tellers. I’m usually pretty good at picking up nuance, but if you give zero explanation, I have to resort to guessing or google. And if I have to stop to look something up, I’m not that engaged in the story.
- Some stories are nonlinear for a reason. I haven’t figured out what the point of all the past/present vignettes are in this particular book and it’s frustrating.
- When I’m a few hundred pages into a book, my mental plotline should have more than two points. Seriously.
- And if this is a love story, I should be able to identify who the freak is in love!