I’ve mentioned it before, but my new project is a dystopian and I L.O.V.E the premise. But for some reason, something is just not working. I can’t pinpoint the problem. So I’m giving myself some parameters to make this brainstorming time worthwhile.
- Am I starting at the right place in the story? Originally, I saw one scene in my head- about a quarter way into the plot – and then built backwards. Maybe that scene should be the beginning…but then I’d end up with a lot of backstory. Hmm…
- Am I using the right POV? I usually write in third, but this particular project is in first. Does it need to change?
- Do I know my characters? Are they real, do they have depth, can a reader relate? How do they interact with each other? I feel like I have a solid grasp on my MC, but maybe I’m waffling on subcharacters.
- What is actually happening? Is the information I’ve written moving the reader toward the climax? I think it is…but is there a better way to tell it?
- Am I being too hard on myself? Maybe I just need someone else to take a look at the first couple of chapters and see if it catches their interest. Maybe someone else can identify something that needs to be fixed. Or maybe not.
Have you ever reached a snag in your story? What did you do to work it out?