Here’s what I found in my nearly 63,000 word manuscript:
- 39 passive sentences which have been actified (I know it’s not a real word, but it was better than ‘actioned-up.’)
- 87 times where the word ‘just’ could be removed.
- 112 times where a sentence read clearly without the word ‘that’.
- 2 grins that were replaced by smirks.
- 1 shrug that was replaced by slung (i.e. “He slung the bag over his shoulder.”)
I was very pleased that I didn’t overuse the words ‘it’ or ‘like.’ Yay me!
In my search, I also found three paragraphs that could be moved (usually one paragraph up or down) to make the whole section a little more clear.
Now I’m off to read to myself.