Elana Johnson, author of POSSESSION and wildly popular blogger/WriteOnCon Organizer/and all-around-awesome person did a little post on publicity that I thought was very interesting. She suggests that we should review books on our blogs because it’s good for the books/authors names to be out there — even if we don’t give the novel stellar marks.
And I agree with that…sort of. My degree is in PR, my first job was as a book publicist. Yes, negative publicity is still publicity. But it’s also negative.
I don’t do negative (again, with the mostly).
Thumper’s line is going to stand for my blog. If I don’t have anything nice to say, I’m just not going to write a review.
With that little caveat, here are my speed-readable reviews for the two best romances I read in August (I’ll do paranormals on Friday and dystopians on Monday):
- Like pastries? Then you’ll probably like Anna and the French Kiss for the same reasons. It’s light and fluffy (full of high school hijinks and first loves), but one is never enough. I can’t wait for the companion novel to come out…although I have no idea how Stephanie Perkins is going to top the super hot French-British-American boy. Just saying. I really could have eaten Ethienne right up.
Now on to the award. The lovely Lindsay Currie gave me the Versatile Blogger award (which I’ve posted on the right), and now I’m supposed to tell you seven things about myself and pass the prize to someone else.
- I hate jeans. Actually I hate anything restrictive. I’m pretty sure it’s a result of living in dance clothes for a couple decades.
- My claim to fame: I danced on the same HS dance team as some of the pros from Dancing with the Stars.
- I eat at least three pounds of chocolate every week. That’s not an exaggeration. It’s disgusting.
- I refused to eat beef for almost ten years. Until my father-in-law offered me a BBQ’d hamburger and I was too nervous to turn him down.
- YA Authors Kiersten White, Shannon Hale, Elana Johnson, Natalie Whipple, Allyson Condie, Carol Lynch Williams, Ann Dee Ellis, and ME all call Utah home. Stephenie Meyer lived there for a while too. So maybe being from Utah will increase my chances of being published? Maybe?
- My dog shares my pillow. That’s not something I love or am proud of.
- I lose my keys at least once every day. And it’s never my fault. Someone always moves them!
Ha! Those are great. #4 is my favorite, though #2 is pretty cool, too.
Also, LOLA is even better than ANNA, in my opinion. I don’t know how she does it.
@Taryn: Really? Now I really can’t wait!
I loved Anna and the French Kiss and I’ve already preordered Lola…I lived in Utah for five whole months, my husband I were married in Saint George…in August, yeah, it was pretty hot.
@Perna: Holy melt your wedding make-up! But St. George is gorgeous. Love, love, love the red rock!!
*fans self with hand* What?! I get an award! That is just so…
First off I’d like to thank my friends and family. My wonderful critique partners… my dog, my cat… my jeans that I’m wearing right now because they make my butt look awesome… the guy who delivers my mail…. the chinese food I just ate for lunch…
Oh. wait. I probably wasn’t supposed to do that was I?
Congrats Becky on getting your own award and I loved your post! And thanks for sharring the love 🙂
Congratulations on the award! Your post was too fun, especially number four. 😀
Lindsay N. Currie
Holy cow – so many awesome writers from one spot!!! I’d say you’ve got geographical luck on your side!!
Missing your keys — did you check the lego box??