There aren’t many books that lodge themselves in my brain, or that I turn to when I’m in a specific mood. But if you’re looking for literary comfort food, here’s my list:
- Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell): For me, there isn’t one other female main character that I love and want to slap as much as Scarlett O’Hara.
- Jamaica Inn (Daphne duMaurier): It’s got a super creepy setting, murder, mystery, and a totally delicious bad boy. Many of you may remember duMaurier from her novel Rebecca, but I promise Jamaica Inn is better.
- Parts of most of Cassandre Clare’s books: Yes, I said parts…like the kissing parts. She writes the best first kisses.
- A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens): I know it’s completely melodramatic, but I love the story. Sorry.
- If it’s Halloween, I usually read Dean Koontz: They give me horrific nightmares, which I guess makes me twisted. And yet, I usually like to scare myself stupid.
What books do you pick up and read over and over?