Since most of you are smarter than I am, these may not be revelations but I’m hoping that they’ll act as reminders.
- Teenagers are awkward. I can’t count the number of times I read the word ‘awkward’ as I checked out authors’ retellings of their first kiss. I have nerdy, shy, strange, pimply, quiet teenagers in my manuscripts. But reading first hand accounts of teeth bumping, spit swapping, alcohol-induced stupidity from real people was very eye opening.
- Everyone dreams about the perfect kiss, but fiction sets them up for disappointment. Does that mean my characters are going to have horrible first kisses because most people do? Heck no! There are plenty of good first kisses out there…I just didn’t realize how lucky I was to be among them.
- First kisses are memorable. Both good and bad, everyone remembers the details of their first kiss…unless they were really drunk (btw, I only came across one of those).
- Anticipation is usually better than the real thing. The tension, wanting, electricity before the first kiss is so HOT! I loved how many people were able to build up the ‘before’ even if the ‘after’ sucked.
- Boys are yucky. Sorry my three(ish) male readers, but it’s true. So many stories related that Mr. First Kiss immediately became Mr. Make Out. Hormones…eesh. In other words, if you’re writing a “polite” male character, you really need to give the reader a strong foundation for his lack-of-attack. Apparently, that doesn’t happen in real life all that often.
- Stale gum, pizza, cigarettes and alcohol kill the sex appeal. If you want to write an awful first kiss, just include those flavors. Lots of people will sympathize.
Without getting into all the nasty details, Worst Kiss No. 1 involved a guy blowing a snot bubble onto my face during the kiss. Worst Kiss No. 2 was a rapist-esque kiss that happened two days after I had my tonsils out. Can you say super disgusting?
Anyone else have a Worst Kiss story to share?
Like the one where I had to wipe my mouth afterwards cause he was SO slobbery? Yuck. He was #3. #2 tasted of ciggies and I had a great #1. He knew it was my #1 and it showed 🙂
@Jen: I’m glad your #1 was nice! Okay…so maybe not ALL boys are yucky.
Thanks for sharing the results of your research! I’m never sure what to do when describing a kiss in a story.
I’m starting up a ‘Critiquing Crusaders’ program, where participants in the Second Crusade can find other writers to exchange critiques with or form critiquing circles. If you’re interested, come by The Kelworth Files to check it out!
Red Boot Pearl
yeah my first kiss was pretty funny…I was smiling so big that he kissed my teeth.
Teenagers aren’t the only ones who are awkward kissers….
Ditto Norma, ditto. Becky – wanted to let you know that I am passing along the Stylish Blogger and Irresistibly Sweet Blog award to your blog! You can see my post here: http://sgardn.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-awards.html. Thanks!
That last point makes me cringe. 😀 So not into smoker kisses. yech.
I’ve had some amazing kisses in my time, but I must admit my first wasn’t that great. 😉
Smiling, smiling, smiling. How true it is that YA novels probably leave many a young girl thinking that her first kiss is going to be dreamy. Mine was a bit sloppy, not disappointing, but not exactly thrilling either. More like “okay, this is what it’s all about? yeesh” But I’ve also had kisses that zinged all through me, fortunately. And bad kisses? Yeah, the cigarette ones were pretty bad.
Susanna Leonard Hill
Worst First Kiss #1 actually made me groan out loud in disgust! Nasty!
As relates to worst kisses, I would also like to mention braces… 🙂
Funny Drunk stories
This blog seems to quite interesting. Its really a good post which is very much interesting.